On October 15, we held a panel on non-academic development economics research jobs. This panel was sponsored by AAEA International and we ran it out of OSU’s Dept. of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics. It was designed for economics PhD students studying international development wanting to learn about research-oriented jobs outside the academy: at government agencies, World Bank, IFPRI, other CGIAR research groups, think tanks and consulting firms.
See more info on our panelists and more resources below. Here is the recording, and here is the twitter thread where we posted remaining questions for folks to answer.
- Jeff Bloem, Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA
- Uttara Balakrishnan, IMPAQ International
- Jon Einar Flåtnes, Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI)
- Soumya Balasubramanya, International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- Will Thompson, IDinsight
- Agnes Quisumbing, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Esteban Quiñones, Mathematica
- Mateusz Filipski, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Jenn Cisse, USAID and United Nations University (UNU)
- Eeshani Kandpal, Development Research Group at World Bank
A few extra details: We were focusing on the micro-side of development; federal reserve jobs, for instance, were not represented. Also, while this seminar was useful for most PhD students studying development economics, it was particularly geared towards students from applied and/or agricultural departments. All of our speakers were trained in such departments. You can find more details on each panelist (home and current country, PhD institute, etc.) here.
And some extra resources:
- Job postings in Norway: https://www.jobbnorge.no/search/en
- Open USDA ERS Research Economist postings, includes posts in the International Trade & Development Branch, probably of most interest to development economists
- Python script that scrapes JOE posts, extracts key details and exports them into excel
- USG jobs https://www.usajobs.gov/
- USAID/RFS term-limited (usually five years) positions: https://www.linkedin.com/company/feedthefuture/
- This site puts all UN jobs in one place: https://www.rottmair.de/un-jobs-and-vacancies/